- How will residential programs operate given the public health situation with COVID-19?
We are monitoring communication from the CDC, NIH, and in coordination with our residential and classroom partners. Above all, the health and safety of fellows, faculty, and staff are our highest priority. We currently anticipate that the Political Studies and War Studies Programs will take place as scheduled, and are planning with public health protocols in mind. Learn more about our plans for an in-person program and required public health measures. Depending on your personal circumstances, an in-person program might not be appropriate; consider our online Summer Courses instead.
As this is a developing situation, we are continually monitoring the situation and looking to create alternative arrangements for your summer experience as a Hertog Fellow if necessary.
- What fellowships are available?
The Hertog Foundation currently offers the following fellowships:
Political Studies — a five-week, full-scholarship summer program in Washington, DC on politics and public policy for college undergraduates and recent graduates. Apply now
Summer Courses — funded online summer seminars in Washington, DC on a variety of topics for college undergraduates and recent graduates. Apply now
War Studies — a fully funded, two-week summer seminar in Washington, DC on warfare and military doctrine for advanced undergraduates, offered in conjunction with the Institute for the Study of War. Apply now
- Please explain the application process.
You can apply by filling out a form which you can access at our application page. On this form you will select your desired programs(s), provide your contact information and educational background, and upload the stipulated documents (e.g., CV/résumé, transcript, statement of purpose). For War Studies, you will also have to provide the contact information and/or a letter from a recommender. Read the application instructions carefully to see what documents are required for your desired program(s).
- May I apply to more than one of the offered fellowships?
Yes. Provided you satisfy a specific fellowship’s eligibility criteria, you may apply to multiple fellowships. However, should you be admitted to fellowships with overlapping schedules, you will be permitted to accept only one offer. Only one application is necessary to apply to any of our programs.
- Can graduate students apply to the summer fellowships?
No, participation in Political Studies, Summer Courses, and War Studies is restricted to college undergraduates and recent graduates. However, graduate students may apply to work with the Political Studies Program as a teaching assistant. TAs sit in on program lectures, participate in all events, and receive a stipend as well as residential accommodations. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Can non-U.S. citizens apply to Hertog programs?
Applicants are not required to be U.S. citizens, nor are they required to have studied in the U.S. International applicants should be highly proficient in the English language, and all application materials, including essays and academic writing samples, must be submitted in English. Please note that we cannot help with visa applications.
- Are nominations accepted?
We welcome nominations for all our programs. In addition, interested applicants may apply directly, without a nomination. Nominations can be submitted via our website using the online form.
- I was nominated for a fellowship. Do I still need a letter of recommendation?
If your desired program(s) requires a letter of recommendation, you must submit one with your application, even if you have been nominated. Your nominator may write your letter of recommendation.
- Can my letter of recommendation and/or transcript be sent in separately from my application?
Political Studies/Summer Course applicants have the option, but are not required to submit a letter of recommendation. War Studies applicants should submit ONE letter, and two letters are highly encouraged.
Letters can be submitted in one of three ways:
- You can upload your letter(s) with the application form
- Your recommender will be contacted upon the completion of your application using the contact information you provide
- You can provide the following link to your recommender where he/she can submit the letter directly: https://hertogfoundation.formstack.com/forms/2021lettersofrec
It is your responsibility to remain in contact with the individual(s) you ask for letter(s) of recommendation and ensure they submit those letters by the deadline.
Having trouble? Email us at email@example.com.
- Who are the faculty and speakers?
Our faculty and speakers fully reflect the unusual scope and depth of our coursework and activities. Each is an accomplished, leading figure in academia, politics, journalism, or business, and together they represent a wide variety of ideological, political, and social views. Learn more about our Faculty.
- How will participants be chosen to participate?
The Hertog Foundation reviews all applications and makes final selections. There will be phone interviews with all finalists before final decisions are made. Evaluations are based on each applicant’s personal statement, academic record, résumé, and other application materials. Candidate selection is highly competitive.
Our deadlines are as follows:
- Summer 2021 Political Studies & Summer Courses: Monday, March 15, 2021
- Summer 2021 War Studies Program: Tuesday, February 15, 2021
Political Studies/Summer Courses applicants who apply by our early decision deadline, Friday, February 19, can be accepted by Monday, March 15, 2021.
- What are my chances of admission? What kind of background does a strong applicant have?
Admission is extremely competitive, and every year we decline admission to many highly qualified applicants simply due to lack of space. A typical competitive applicant will have:
- An undergraduate GPA > 3.5
- A statement of purpose which tells us why the applicant is interested in pursuing study with the Hertog Foundation and how it fits into their aspirations and plans for the future. The statement of purpose is very important, and deserves careful attention.
- An academic writing sample that demonstrates the applicant’s powers of analysis and independent thought, and not only their ability to do scholarly research or comment on a text.
- Strong letter(s) of recommendation from a professor or another individual who is in a position to comment on the applicant’s academic or professional qualifications.
- What kind of work is expected from participants?
Our residential programs are full-time endeavors. Participants are expected to attend and participate in all scheduled lectures, discussions, and program events. Participants are also expected to complete the assigned reading prior to each class.
- How much do these programs cost?
Our programs are provided at no charge to participants. The Hertog Foundation provides books, materials, and lectures. Our summer programs include residential accommodations and a stipend to offset travel and living expenses. We ask only for your time and thoughtful participation.
- How do I confirm that you received my application?
Applicants submitting a completed application will receive a confirmation email. If you did not receive a notification after submitting your completed application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org because we may not have received it.
- Are previous applicants who were not accepted eligible to re-apply?
Yes, we encourage our former applicants to re-apply. Our programs are highly competitive, and we tend to select upperclassmen for our summer college fellowships.
- If I submitted an application last year, do I need to submit a new one?
All applicants need to submit a new application to be considered for a Hertog fellowship, even if they have applied previously.
- What if I've been sponsored by the Hertog Foundation staff? Or was invited to submit an expedited application?
If a member of the Hertog staff told you that you were sponsored, then you need to submit only the application form, an updated CV/résumé, and an updated transcript. Please note: Being sponsored is not the same as being nominated by your professor.
If a member of the Hertog staff told you that you are able to submit an expedited application, or if you are a Hertog alum, then you need to submit only the application form, an updated CV/résumé, an updated transcript, and a statement of purpose. Please note than an invitation to apply to our programs is not the same as an invitation to submit an expedited application.
- Can students receive college credit?
The Hertog Foundation cannot offer college credit to our participants. Most colleges and universities make decisions about recognizing course credit for off-campus academic work, such as our summer programs, on a case-by-case basis. Students interested in the possibility of receiving course credit should consult with appropriate officials at their home institutions.