Frequently Asked Questions
- What fellowships are available?
The Hertog Foundation currently offers the following fellowships:
Political Studies — a seven-week, full scholarship summer program in Washington, DC on politics and public policy for college undergraduates and recent graduates. apply now
Summer Courses — fully funded, short-term summer seminars in Washington, DC on a variety of topics for college undergraduates and recent graduates. apply now
War Studies — a fully funded, two-week summer seminar in Washington, DC on warfare and military doctrine for advanced undergraduates, offered in conjunction with the Institute for the Study of War. apply now
- Please explain the application process.
The first step is to create an account at HertogFoundation.org or, if you already have an account with us, log in to your existing account. Once you are logged in to your account, you can select your desired program(s). The application asks for your contact and educational/professional background, a few short essay questions, and other documents. Read the application instructions carefully to see what documents are required for your desired program(s).
- May I apply to more than one of the offered fellowships?
Yes. Provided you satisfy a specific fellowship’s criteria, you may apply to multiple fellowships. However, should you be admitted to fellowships with overlapping schedules, you will be permitted to accept only one offer. Only one application is necessary to apply to any of our programs.
- Can graduate students apply to the summer fellowships?
No, participation in Political Studies, Summer Courses, and War Studies is restricted to college undergraduates and recent graduates. However, graduate students may apply to work with the Political Studies Program as a teaching assistant. TAs sit in on program lectures, participate in all events, and receive a stipend as well as dormitory accommodations. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Can non-U.S. citizens apply to Hertog programs?
Applicants are not required to be U.S. citizens, nor are they required to have studied in the U.S. International applicants should be highly proficient in the English language, and all application materials, including essays and academic writing samples, must be submitted in English.
- Are nominations accepted?
We welcome nominations for all our programs. In addition, interested applicants may apply directly, without a nomination, but must have a letter of recommendation. Nominations can be submitted via our website using the online form.
- I was nominated for a fellowship. Do I still need a letter of recommendation?
If your desired program(s) requires a letter of recommendation, you must submit one with your application, even if you have been nominated. Your nominator may write your letter of recommendation.
- Can my letter of recommendation and/or transcript be sent in separately from my application?
Political Studies/Summer Course applicants must submit a minimum of ONE academic letter of recommendation. War Studies applicants should submit TWO letters.
Letters can be submitted with the application form OR your recommender can directly submit the letter using the following link (with your email address replacing “email@example.com” at the end): http://firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy this link and provide it to your recommender after submitting your application.
It is your responsibility to remain in contact with the individual(s) you ask for letter(s) of recommendation and ensure they submit those letters by the deadline.
Having trouble? Email us at email@example.com.
- Who are the faculty and speakers?
Our faculty and speakers fully reflect the unusual scope and depth of our coursework and activities. Each is an accomplished, leading figure in academia, politics, journalism, or business, and together they represent a wide variety of ideological, political, and social views. Learn more about our Faculty.
- How will participants be chosen to participate?
The administration and staff of the Hertog Foundation will review all applications and make final selections. There will be phone interviews with all finalists before the final decisions are made. Evaluations will be based on each applicant’s nomination or recommendation, personal statement, academic record, résumé, and other application materials. Candidate selection is highly competitive.
The application deadline for all Summer 2017 programs is Monday, February 6, 2017. Political Studies/Summer Courses applicants who apply by our early decision deadline, Monday, December 5, 2016, can be accepted by Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
- What are my chances of admission? What kind of background does a strong applicant have?
Admission is extremely competitive, and every year we decline admission to many highly qualified applicants simply due to lack of space. A typical competitive applicant will have:
- An undergraduate GPA => 3.5
- Strong letter of recommendation(s) from a professor or another individual who is in a position to comment on the applicant’s academic or professional qualifications
- A statement of purpose which tells us why the applicant is interested in pursuing study with the Hertog Foundation and how it fits into their aspirations and plans for the future. The personal statement is very important, and deserves careful attention.
- An academic writing sample that demonstrates the applicant’s powers of analysis and independent thought, and not only their ability to do scholarly research or comment on a text.
- What kind of work is expected from participants?
Our programs are full-time endeavors. Participants are expected to attend and participate in all scheduled lectures, discussions, and program events. Participants are also expected to complete the assigned reading prior to each class.
- How much do these programs cost?
Our programs are provided at no charge to participants. The Hertog Foundation provides a stipend, books, materials, and lectures. Our summer programs include dormitory accommodations. We ask only for your time and thoughtful participation.
- How do I confirm that you received my application?
Applicants submitting a completed application will receive a confirmation email. If you did not receive a notification after submitting your completed application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org because we may not have received it.
- Are previous applicants who were not accepted eligible to re-apply?
Yes, we encourage our former applicants to re-apply. Our programs are highly competitive, and we tend to select upperclassmen for our summer college fellowships.
- If I submitted an application last year, do I need to submit a new one?
All applicants need to submit a new application to be considered for a Hertog fellowship, even if they have applied previously.
- Can students receive college credit?
The Hertog Foundation cannot offer college credit to our participants. Most colleges and universities make decisions about recognizing course credit for off-campus academic work such as our summer programs on a case-by-case basis. Students interested in the possibility of receiving course credit should consult with appropriate officials at their home institutions.