Submitting Your Application Form
A key part of your application is a form that captures information about you and your educational/professional background. (NOTE: You can save and return to this form as many times as you need to prior to the deadline.) In order to return to your application, you must click SAVE & RETURN. You will then be emailed a link that will remain effective for 30 days; use this link to resume your application. If you save & return you may be asked to upload your documents again. After you have completed your application and uploaded all the necessary documents, you must click SUBMIT.
Please note all applications that are fully submitted receive an email notification.
To ensure efficient notification, please make sure that emails from firstname.lastname@example.org are not being caught in your SPAM filter.
Uploading Required Documents
To complete your application, you will need to submit the following documents (PDF preferred, .doc also accepted) :
- Statement of purpose: Why do you want to attend the Hertog War Studies Program? Describe your background, your intellectual interests, and your future ambitions as they relate to the War Studies Program (1,000 words or less)
- CV or résumé
- Unofficial academic transcript from all colleges or universities that you have attended (required only for current undergraduates, recent graduates, and graduate students).
- A headshot (.jpg preferred)
- Writing sample (double-spaced & 20 pages maximum)
Please name these files using your last name and the type of document (e.g., Hegel_resume.pdf or Hegel_headshot.pdf).
Submitting Letters of Recommendation
You will submit the name(s) and contact information for recommender(s) who will be submitting letters on your behalf. War Studies applicants should submit ONE academic letter of recommendation. Serious applicants are highly encouraged to submit a second letter of recommendation. Your letters should be from someone familiar with your educational accomplishments (i.e., professor, academic advisor, etc.) and/or your public service activities or interests (i.e., ROTC cadre, work supervisor).
Letters can be submitted in one of three ways:
- You can upload your letter(s) with the application form
- Your recommender will be contacted upon the completion of your application using the contact information you provide
- You can provide the following link to your recommender where he/she can submit the letter directly: https://hertogfoundation.formstack.com/forms/2021lettersofrec